Dimitrov, G. and Nikolova, T. and Nikolova, N. and Taleska, B. and Nikolovski, Sotir (2011) COLPOSCOPY IN THE MANAGEMENT OF PATIENTS AFTER CO2 LASER ABLATION. In: The International Course in Colposcopy and Cervical Pathology, 10-11 November 2011, Ioannina – Greece.

Full text not available from this repository.
Official URL:


Background: To evaluate the accuracy of cytology and colposcopy in the postoperative management of
women treated by CO2 laser ablation for cervical squamous intraepithelial neoplasias, both CIN 2 and CIN 1.
Methods: A retrospective study comprised of 210 patients with CIN 1/2 treated with laser CO2 ablation from
2005 to 2010 at the University Clinic of Obstetrics and Gynecology in Skopje. Data were collected from the patients’
medical records. Cytology and colposcopy were done in 3 months intervals in the first postoperative year and in
6 months till the end of the 5th year.
Results: The mean age of the patients was (26,5 yrs). 59% were patients treated for CIN 1 and the rest 41%
treated for CIN 2. In 73% of all the patients, recurrences occurred within the first year of the treatment. Colposcopy
showed 96% sensitivity and 89% specificity, whereas cytology appeared to have lower sensitivity 90%, but higher
specificity 95% in the detection of recurrent cervical lesion. No case of cervical cancer was diagnosed in the studying
group in postoperative follow up.
Conclusions: There is a continuing incidence of recurrent cervical intraepithelial neoplasia, even up to five
years after the initial CO2 laser ablation. A combination of cytology and colposcopy is found to be necessary in a
longer follow up.

Item Type: Conference or Workshop Item (Paper)
Subjects: Scientific Fields (Frascati) > Medical and Health Sciences > Other medical sciences
Divisions: Higher Medical School
Depositing User: Vms Eprints
Date Deposited: 28 May 2020 20:25
Last Modified: 28 May 2020 20:25

Actions (login required)

View Item View Item